Thursday, December 22, 2011

For Those Supporting A Firefighter

My wife readily associates herself with my job by calling herself a fire wife. She caught a lot of grief because of that. It's not that she doesn't have her own identity. It has more to do with the fact that my job intrudes into my our personal lives a lot more than most jobs.


Because of my chosen career my life expectancy is shorter. My risk of getting cancer is increased (more than doubled in a lot of cancers), my risk of injury/death is greater, I'm often sleep deprived, the list goes on and on.

The other day I was on Fire Engineering's website and I came across an article written for the spouses of firefighters, What Every Firefighter's Spouse Should Know.

As I read through the article I started thinking that most of this doesn't apply to me (I'm sure most firefighters feel that way). But as I thought about it more I came to the conclusion that it must apply to a lot of firefighters. And there were definitely parts that apply to me.

So for those of you that support us from the home front, and for those that would like to have a glimpse at what we put our spouses through, enjoy the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment