Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 6, 2008

Scorpion bites

We were at the station when a man walked in and said that he was stung by a scorpion. He stated that he was cooking in the kitchen when he felt something like a be sting on his foot. When he looked down he saw a small scorpion. He very quickly grabbed a Tupperware bowl and caught the scorpion. He then called his girlfriend who told him to go to the fire station. I don't know why people don't just call 911. We'll come to you. He had a little bit of itching and redness right at the point of the sting but that was all. He didn't want to pay for an ambulance ride so he drove himself (and the scorpion) to the hospital. On further research, scorpion stings in the United States only have a 1% fatality rate in healthy adults. That 1% is almost exclusively caused by severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis. I thought that that was interesting.



This is what the scorpion looked like.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Ew ew ew ew ew! I don't ever want to live where those things are!

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

Just about anywhere you go in the world there is some creepy crawly (technical term)that bites or stings.

http://www.bentler.us/eastern-washington/animals/arachnids/default.aspx

Reena said...

it looks indiglow!

I had no idea that scorpion stings were so not a big deal. That's a bit of a relief.

Post a Comment

© FireMedic and Firefighter/Paramedic Stories, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to FireMedic and Firefighter/Paramedic Stories with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP