Sunday, June 24, 2012

How Do You Say Thank You?

Over the weekend my department suffered a loss. One of our firefighters that has served for more than 34 years had recently been diagnosed with cancer. The last several months he has been away from his job (and his fire department family) going through treatment.


This last week it was discovered that the cancer had come back with a vengeance. Some of my brothers volunteered to go get him and bring him home. Some time late Saturday night or early Sunday morning my brother passed.

Most of the people in his district will probably never know that he gave everything for them. For my part, I thank him for being an example of what a fireman should be. I hope that by answering the tones when they go off he will understand that I am doing my part to carry on the tradition that he believed in. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment