Monday, August 24, 2009

Auto vs Bicycle

Just as we were getting read for bed the tones went off. We were dispatched for a vehicle versus bicyclist. I have to admit that I was more than a little excited because it's been quite a while since I last saw a good trauma. As we pulled up I saw a man sitting on the center median being next to a truck. It appeared that the driver had turned right (he only had a yield sign) and failed to see the cyclist. The man had been drug over 50 feet and then crawled his way out from under the vehicle. His bicycle was still lodged under the drivers seat. The cyclist had not been wearing a helmet but luckily never hit his head. He did have road rash to all of his extremities but the worst of his injuries was an avulsion, to the bone, about 4 inches across. Every time I see tendons working I think "how cool is that!?" I'm sure he wasn't feeling that way. I did a quick physical exam looking for any other injuries then I bandaged up his foot. By now we had enough manpower there so that I could attend to his foot while others placed him on the backboard and strapped him down. With all said and done it wasn't the best trauma I've seen but it was better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment