Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ill Person in a White Car

We were toned out for an ill person in a white car on the side of the highway. While we were headed in that direction I told Grant that this was his call. I like to let the Firefighter/EMTs get in there and do patient assessments so that they can hone their skills. I usually get the deer in the headlights look when I tell them that they are in charge.

When we arrived on scene Grant jumped out and grabbed the EMS gear. He quickly went to the driver and started asking what was going on. As I approached the car I got a good look at the driver. I stepped in and asked Grant to go to the other side of the car and start getting me some vitals. The patient was white as a ghost and looked mostly like death warmed over. He was barely talking. He just had a pacemaker put in 5 weeks ago and was given Nitroglycerin for any chest pain. He started having some chest pain while driving so he took the Nitroglycerin, which did it's job and opened up all his blood vessels, and lowered his blood pressure. By the time that we got to him he was no longer in chest pain but was extremely weak from his low blood pressure. We leaned him back in his car and I started an IV. As soon as MBA arrived on scene we loaded him up and sent them on his way.

I think that Grant was glad to not have to be in charge on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment