Thursday, October 8, 2009

More Ambien Please

We were toned out for an auto accident with PD on scene. Upon our arrival we found an SUV in the parking lot of a strip mall. PD had the woman standing next to her vehicle. I asked what the story was and was informed that she had been driving erratically and was followed by a city employee while on the phone with 911. As my patient tried to turn into the parking lot she hit a small tree, knocking it over. My patient was clearly not operating on all cylinders so we did some checking. All her vitals were normal. Blood sugar levels were fine. Patient had no real medical complaint. She was able to answer all of our questions but very slowly. PD had grabbed her prescription medication out of her purse and handed them to me. She had filled a prescription for 30 Ambien the day before and was down to two. I wasn't sure what an overdose on Ambien would look like so I decided to call poison control. The MD on the phone said that it would just make her really out of it like having too much valium.

He also said that she did need to go to the ER. We finished up our asssessment and handed off patient care to AMR.

1 comment: