Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, February 4, 2011

Man Up

I understand that kids whine and cry. Hey, I just went through a PALS course. That means I'm a trained professional, right?! Ok. Not quite. But I am really good with kids. And I have 3 of the little rug rats of my own. So that's where I'm coming from when I tell this next story.

We were dispatched to a child down in the street. We expected the kid to be gone by the time that we arrived on scene. When we pulled up we could see a small knot of people standing and kneeling by a kid in the street. There was an ER RN at the head of the patient holding c-spine. It really looked as if we had a critical kid.


As I walked up I noticed the 10 year old boy was laying prone with his left leg and arm slightly bent in a normal fashion. I also noted that the kid was screaming bloody murder.The story was that the victim had been racing hes scooter down the hill and lost control. Luckily he was wearing a helmet and he wasn't on a busy street.

He was complaining that he had severe pain to his left hip. We exposed his hip and found that he had road rash. During the head to toe assessment I found that he also had some road rash on his left elbow. When the kid discovered this he forgot all about the hip and started wailing like our siren. Keep in mind, there is no blood. It's a large scratch. Band aid worthy.

I know road rash can be painful. But it's not that painful. My six year old daughter wouldn't have cried that much if she had broken an arm along with the road rash. I really felt like saying 'man up' to the kid. I guess I wasn't feeling to sympathetic that day.

5 comments:

Its Time to Live said...

I remember the good old days. Get up and get back to work after you get hurt!

Melanie said...

No kidding...I can't count the times I fell learning to ride my bike when I was little. I don't think I even got a bandaid, it was more like, get back on and go again till I get it right.

Erin said...

Some kids are just loud about pain, I guess.

Silliyak said...

Sounds like Chief material to me. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

I try to instill in my kids that there is no whining in life.

Post a Comment

© FireMedic and Firefighter/Paramedic Stories, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to FireMedic and Firefighter/Paramedic Stories with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP