Sunday, February 17, 2008

Respond for Chest Pain

At about 2130 (I'm gonna make you figure out what time that is in civilian time) we got toned out for a woman with chest pain. Since we were already in our casual clothes we quickly donned our turnouts and ran over to the address. A friend of the patient met us in the driveway and told us that he had just found her this way. We went inside to find a 63 year old female laying on the ground. She had thrown up a couple of times and was also incontinent. It turns out that on Thursday, just after noon, my patient had had a stroke. At this point she was completely paralyzed on her right side. She had tried to make it to the phone from the couch but fell on the floor. She had stayed there on the floor, unable to move, until our arrival. I performed a rapid assessment and stuck her with an IV while my partner contacted our base hospital. We had to wait for about 10 minutes for our ambulance to arrive. At that point I gave my report to the paramedic intern (it was her first shift and she looked like a deer caught in the headlights). After packaging up the patient and sending her on her way with the MBA (Morongo Basin Ambulance) paramedic we went back to the station. I could get used to not having to transport my own patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment