Thursday, November 12, 2009

You're Gonna Feel Weak

The tones went off and we hopped into our bunker pants and jumped on the rig. While tearing down the street with lights and siren blazing dispatch informed us that we were responding for a 96 year old male that was feeling weak. My first thought, well DUH! Your 96 years old! What do you expect? Now deep down I know that people are calling because they are feeling something that is out of the ordinary for them but I couldn't help but think that this guy was just lucky to be feeling.

When we arrived on scene we were met by my patient's daughter. She led us to the backyard where she had left her father in the sun (because his skin color wasn't right). She gave me a decent report on his current medical problems, his past medical history, allergies and current medications. The report was good enough that I asked her if she was nurse, which she was (which slightly frightens me that a nurse would place someone that was very pale in the sun, as if it were the cure). My patient had recently (two weeks ago) undergone heart surgery and had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted.
http://knol.google.com/k/-/-/hCjLTV2A/bdmV3w/ICD.cartoon.png  AMR arrived while we were getting the heart monitor on him and getting our first set of vitals. I gave a quick report just as we got a BP. 66/42. I guess that explains why you're not feeling so well and you look like you just saw a ghost. We quickly move him to the gurney and lay him flat. Once in the back of the ambulance the AMR medic started a line. After making sure that he didn't need any more help we cleared the scene.

Hopefully the guy makes 97.

No comments:

Post a Comment